Friday, April 29, 2011

April's Fool #2





"New York, New York, the city of dreams..!"

Whoever came up with that was obviously not referring to the dating scene! I guess when you’re in a city where everyone is so focused on themselves, and dating is just something fun to do as opposed to finding a life partner, you’re bound to encounter a few frogs before coming close to a prince; one in particular always stood out.

DISCLAIMER: As a result of the events about to be mentioned, I intentionally forgot the name of the man involved, so for now we will simply refer to him as Bob.

Our date started out at the Underbar in Union Square, a super trendy bar/ lounge. It was St. Patrick's Day. I must say, after about 30 minutes into the date, I realized that this would be our first and last. Granted, I had no background information on Bob considering the fact that we met in Starbuck's. I usually pride myself on having a pretty good judgment of character. But we all make mistakes and agreeing to go on a date with Bob was one of mine.

Despite all the reasons I had to cut the date short (i.e. nothing in common, his lack of professional ambition and common sense), I decided to finish our round of drinks before coming up with an excuse to call it an early night. Finally, after another 30 minutes of the most boring conversation in my life, the check arrived!

As we exited the lounge and entered the subway, in a somewhat tipsy manner, we foolishly passed the turn style simultaneously after only paying for one fare. Immediately after, we were approached by NYPD, who were stationed all over the city to keep the unruly drunks celebrating St. Patty's Day in order. We were ordered to follow the officers to the police station located underground in the subway where we would be issued fines. The officers checked my driver's license and everything check out, so I was issued a $110 ticket. Next up: Bob.

For some reason, Bob's information took a little more time to check out. Now, in the state of New York, a simple offense like skipping your fare for the subway is the perfect opportunity to find people with preexisting warrants and lock them up. So was the case for Bob. As the officers told me they would have to keep Bob around for a while, I caught a glimpse of him being handcuffed. It took me all of 45 seconds to decide to leave and not wait around for Ashton and his camera crew to punk me. A few days later, I received numerous calls from Bob apologizing and confessing his embarrassment. I kindly let him know I didn't need an explanation or details of his criminal history because I "just wasn't feeling it."

Looking back at this date, and plenty others that were just as negatively memorable, it may feel like a joke while experiencing it, but in hindsight, all you can do is laugh and hopefully appreciate your current romantic situation even more! The one regret I have is not making him repay my $110 fine!


Submitted by Kristen

No comments: