Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Excuses are Tools...

About two months ago I went through a “break up,” for lack of a better phrase. If you’ve been following uLive.uLove.uLearn for a while, you may have noticed a few posts regarding a relationship in which I dated, phased out, re-dated and fell in love with this guy I used to know. Well, the title of the blog isn’t specifically ordered live, love, learn for no reason. As you live your life, you will find love or have it find you and, whether or not it lasts four months or forever, you most certainly should learn from the experience.

I had no intention of even writing about the way it ended or why because, long in short, our time together was our time together and I've previously stated my theories on "reason, season, lifetime." But, in truth, it took me a long time to accept that reality. All along I “didn't want to hear” what he “didn't want to tell” me, especially when I’d previously defended the relationship and the emotions that came of it, to myself and others. But while engaging in conversation with other women about their experiences, I noticed a common, unhealthy pattern and it’s time for this to stop. Ladies, if you remember nothing else I ever write, remember this: STOP making excuses for men (and for your actions concerning them)! Seriously, it just makes you look stupid…bottom line. Stupidity can come in the form of, but is not limited to, the following phrases:

-“He’s young and doesn’t know what he wants.” (Do tell the appropriate age at which wisdom kicks in.)

-“He has trust issues/he’s been hurt in the past.” (Join the club!)

-“They didn’t officially break up because he didn’t want to hurt her feelings.” (What about yours?)

-“He thought a relationship would distract him from reaching his life goals.” (“I’m a movement by myself, but…”)

-“He has potential/good intentions.” (“The road to hell is paved with…”)

-“Technically, we weren’t together so it’s not really considered cheating.” (Define cheating. I’ll wait…)

-“But he loves me.” (My personal favorite.)

-“She’s not even cute!” (Since when does “it” have a face?)

Of course, there’s more, but you know what constitutes an excuse (to make apology for or to try to remove blame from) and how dumb you sound when you attempt to rationalize it, so the aforementioned should suffice. And please don’t give me that know-it-all response of, “It’s a legitimate reason,” because a reason (a statement offered in explanation or justification) for giving you anything less than you deserve is a terrible excuse just the same. Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions, but excuses and exceptions are two different things! I’m not angry with you, I am you; always willing to constantly give someone the benefit of the doubt even when they’ve repeatedly disappointed you. Save yourself the time and heartache and listen to his nonverbal way of saying, “I’m not the one.” Trust me on this, it will hurt more to ignore the obvious than to accept it for what it is and move on.

It’s very easy to justify actions or inactions because we are in love. I’m a huge advocate for love and loving hard, but we have got to do so with our head and heart alike. Love, or the prospect of it, can weaken the heart and mess with the mind of even the strongest people, which is why when one is badly affected; the other must take over in its place. Love is, by far, the most addicting drug of all and once diagnosed, there’s not a prescription you can think of to cure it or a vaccine to prevent it.

If you’ve followed the 2008 presidential campaign (Gooobama!), you might recall the candidates referring to Einstein’s definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results). Well, my darlings, you must be out of your minds to think that he will stop doing something that you’ve continued to allow him to do. Here’s one other thing to remember: women set the tone in any relationship and men have two options: rock with it or roll out!

Comedian and radio host, Steve Harvey said it best in a response to one of his daily “Strawberry Letter” entries. Doing my best to paraphrase, he said that if a woman enters a relationship with no standards and requirements set in place (specifically on how she is to be treated), the man will have free reign to do what he wants. He also made it very clear that a woman is wasting her time to think she can change any man. Therefore, she can’t hit the rewind button once she feels disrespected and then try to enforce those standards and requirements. At that point, it is most likely too late for him. Conversely, if she is upfront and clear about her standards & requirements, he will make the conscious decision to step up to the plate or not.

Keep making excuses if you want to, but that is the “bare-naked truth” from a man. “Excuses are tools of the incompetent…,” so if you consider your relationship to be useless, hopeless and inept, keep on building those monuments, girls!

Live, Love, Learn and repeat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you’ve followed the 2008 presidential campaign (Gooobama!), you might recall the candidates referring to Einstein’s definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results). Well, my darlings, you must be out of your minds to think that he will stop doing something that you’ve continued to allow him to do."

That says it all right there.... the best said I think it can be. Great post!

Anonymous said...

outstanding blog. sounds like the sooner you can call it for what it is, the better off you will be. assuming of course, you move on and do not stay and wallow in what it is. outstanding blog!

Anonymous said...

"always willing to constantly give someone the benefit of the doubt even when they’ve repeatedly disappointed you"

Sigh. So true.

Anonymous said...

Like usual, I love your blogs. A lot of your blogs usually hit home and maybe it’s because I know you on a personal level. I swear half the stuff you say might come from my life, but then again we are very similar in a lot of our life experiences. I truly believe that with every experience you learn something that is very valuable; either you date a guy for a few weeks, months or even years. I use to definitely make excuses for the old relationships I was in because I use to think that if I didn’t admit to the truth I couldn’t hurt myself, when in reality it hurt me more then I could ever imagine. The excuses in the long run even damaged my current relationship more then I would ever wish on anyone. The comment of that “he is young and he doesn’t know what he wants” worked in high school or even in the beginning of college, but sorry guys …once you reach the end of college or about the age of 24-25 that all ends. You might not know what you really want, but please cut the crap and at least admit to what you really don’t want. In regards to the Trust issue- who doesn’t have trust issue at one point in their life? There is bound to be someone who lied to you or hurt you, but it should end when the relationship ended or when you decided to forgive the person. Trust is needed 100% of the time and if you’re not ready to provide the woman with 100|% of your trust, then don’t use the next wonderful woman in your life as the someone you want to work your trust issue with and hopes she can put up with your crap! Also, how can a relationship distract your life goal? One of your damn life goals should be spending the rest of your life with the girl you love or claim to love or spending the rest of your life finding her. CHEATING –trust me I know, it’s either physically interaction with someone you’re not supposed to be involved with, exclusive with or BF/GF with, it’s also emotional people, I learned that from the guy I am dating! And if he loves you, he would use everything in his power to never hurt you and if he does somehow hurt you he uses everything in his power to make it up to you in the most amazing way he knows how. My FAVORITE is giving the benefit of the doubt, as much benefit you give a man, he can start a retirement plan and you are left with the co-pay! I love my man very much, but after so many years of hearing excuses and giving excuses, I learn to love myself much more. Excuses are tools and unless that tool is being used to dig a hole and bury yourself in it, save it for a young girl that doesn’t know any better.