Saturday, June 2, 2007

An Introduction

At 20-something, is it unrealistic to dream of love? Is the prospect of a fulfilling and faithful long-term relationship unheard of? You mean to tell me that I can't be happy and in love now? Not fair!

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I still believe "he's" out there, whoever "he" is. And we will find each other, despite the odds against us. At 20-something, I still believe in straight-up love. It may be on the rocks at time, shaken and even stirred. It may be an acquired taste for some. It may get you hooked on the first round or take a while to build a tolerance for. It could up and leave you acting a complete fool, forgetting who you are. It could leave you open and vulnerable, saying and doing things you couldn't even imagine. It could burn going down, yet have the possibility of being so smooth. The thing is, you won't know until you try. Even with the warning on the label, it still won't stop you from drinking, I mean, dating. And there's no shame in that!

Dating, like drinking, before the appropriate age or phase in life doesn't allow you to appreciate it for what it is. It's like a rites of passage. Dating at 16 isn't the same as dating at 18, which isn't dating at 20-something. Well, at least it shouldn't be. If you sip on a wine cooler as a teen, you think you're really doing something. You might even think you're getting a buzz. But once you start drinking legally and get that first real hang over, you realize how foolish you were before. If you can relate to any of this or knows someone who can, subscribe to this blog, add your comments and let's start a dialogue.

Song for thought...Bobby Valentino: "Anonymous"
http://us.video.aol.com/player/launcher?pmmsid=1860826

Live.Love.Learn...(and then repeat)!

-TS&S

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great topic to discuss and its a common topic that seems to always come up when I am with a group of my girlfiends. All of my girlfriends are intelligent, all have degrees in great fields, beautiful, dresses well and are fun and out going, but they all have such a hard time finding the right man! I am also 20 something but is currently dating a great guy and I thnk true love is the hardest thing to find and sometimes it may take a life time to find unless you truelly understand yourself first. Most girls are so willing to settle just so that they can be with someone and not be alone. Dating is like finding that right drink, until you find that drink that gives you the perfect buzz then you should not stop tasting the different drinks. Things should be different from when you were a teen, but love doesn't change, just like when you first saw your first crush, or when you had your first Boyfriend, you knew how it felt to feel something that is beauitful and a feeling you would never forget. Its the same when you are in the presence of the guy you dig or even love in your 20 somethings, that feeling doesn't change, you still get that same buzz, just more intense and probably last alot longer. So ladies, its not about what type of drink you drink, but the type of buzz you are looking for. Are you still looking for that quick buzz,that you had in high school that last a few hours or days, or that buzz that may last for years! when you live, you learn, once you learn then you can love.

Anonymous said...

I agree, this a great topic and so relevant in our lives right now. My friend and I were discussing this recently. In high school you settle for so much in a relationship just out of pure ignorance and immaturity. I mean really how many guys did you 'love' in high school? In college you become less focused on settling down and more focused on playing the field and seeing what life has to offer. However at the end of college maybe post 21 you start to realize what you want and what you deserve. However most guys are still in their "la la land" of playing the field, of having their cake and eating it to. Finding love or being in a relationship doesn't mean marriage the next day. But it does mean being mature about what you want and enjoying what life has to offer with another person. Also being in a relationship and liking someone a whole lot doesn't mean you love them. Being a 20-something and single love is on my mind, but true love is what i desire and I know it takes time.

Anonymous said...

I think a big problem with 20 something girls is we are all under the impression that after college we are suppose to settle down...with someone else. Making a life for yourself, not you and another, should come first. It's sad. I already have a friend who got married, got pregnant, and is now getting divorced before the age of 23.

Anonymous said...

I definitely Second that Emotion…(remember that song) by Twenty-Something&Single. I also think to know what kinds of drinks you like, you have to know what kinds of drinks you don’t like. In essence you’ll never know the type of man want until you know the type of man you don’t want. I think finding a good man can be like finding a good drink. One that calms you down when you’re stressed, makes you all happy & excited, one you can’t wait to have after a long day, one you want all your friends to know about because it taste so good, gives you that tingly feeling in your arms, legs, and stomach (sometimes good & sometimes bad, lets be truthful). Its funny, as I type I forget which one I’m describing. All this makes me want to go have a drink, I mean a man, I mean…

Anonymous said...

Good stuff!!! You totally make me feel normal!!! I actually think I found mine, but...sighh...he's not ready for me!...But I believe..everyday he's not with me, he's getting better and better and I want him at his peak!